Surprisingly, silk sheets have many benefits over cotton, wool or other materials that sheets are made of. These benefits provide an increased incentive to buying and using silk sheets for your family and home.
1. Silk is a natural product, whereas a lot of other materials are synthetic. Because it is natural, our bodies respond better to them. Amazingly, our bodies respond better to silk sheets. They feel more natural against our skin and allow us to feel more relaxed and therefore get better sleep at night.
2. Silk sheets are allergy free. To people who suffer from allergies, silk sheets will offer a dramatic improvement in their allergic reactions to dust. Dust mites tend to inhabit sheets and bedding. However, dust mites tend not to like silk, finding it to provide a much less hospitable environment for them to inhabit. Therefore, allergy sufferers have been known to sleep much better in the allergy free sheets and experience much less sneezing fits.
3. Silk material has an ability to help our skin reabsorb moisture through the amino acids in silk unlike cotton that draws the moisture out of your skin. Your skin will feel smoother and less dry as the silk sheets help them reabsorb moisture throughout the night. This benefits everyone, but especially those suffering from Eczema and dry skin. Also, since the silk surface is much smoother than cotton, silk benefits those with sensitive skin or suffering from skin inflammations, post surgery sutures, and sunburns.
4. Silk helps the body regulate heat by keeping you cool when it’s warm outside and warmer when it’s cool outside. It helps to shed excess heat during the summer to keep your skin cool. It also helps to retain heat during the winter so you can stay warm.
5. Silk contains natural protein and 18 essential amino acids. Studies have shown that amino acids can help calm the nervous system and fight against the effects of aging, especially on the skin. Silk also contains natural cellular albumen which helps speed up metabolism of skin cells and therefore will reduce signs of aging. Using silk sheets and silk pillowcases will help both your facial skin and body.
6. Silk is naturally fire retardant which makes it a safer material for babies, children, and everyone.
7. Sleeping on silk has been known to help prevent thinning of the hair since silk causes less friction and therefore disrupts the hair follicles a lot less than cotton. Therefore, hair will not experience as much breakage, split ends, and tangles. Many hair stylists recommend sleeping on silk to preserve the hair style and cut.